Kaysville Utah History

Learn about an inspiring Utah woman who tried to make a difference in her own way. DeWayne W. Simmons was hired as director in San Diego, California, and his wife, Jean F. Simmons, was the first female director of the Salt Lake City Convention and Visiting Office. She was a member of the board of trustees of Utah State University and a board member of the Utah Historical Society.

In the spring of 1850, two men and their family came to the great convent and visitor's office of Salt Lake City for the first time. After exploring the region, which is now within the boundaries of the city of Kaysville and Layton, Utah, the family settled in Great Salt Lake City. They spent the first few months here in a small hut on the outskirts of town and spent most of their time there.

The threat that soldiers would commit looting of settlers on their march prompted Brigham Young to move south. The Carson Valley missionaries were recalled from Utah and abandoned, and as a result, many of the younger generations left the country. This advance threatened not only the future of Kaysville, but also many other cities in the area.

According to the 1850 census, there were three hundred settlers in this part of the valley, and many more families had come, as it was time for ward organization and there was a need for a large number of missionaries in Kaysville and a new church building. Brigham Young ordered the city to build a fortress to protect it, but the army continued to march and people were advised to return to their homes in peace.

Hector C. Haight was the first Mormon to be discovered in what is now Kaysville, and it was he who found pasture land. His wife and four children, all of whom live in Salt Lake, decided to travel from Brown to Fort Ogden to find permanent housing. After his return to Utah, the family settled in West Weber, where he was elected chairman of the elders "council and the settlement's branch association.

He became fascinated by Mormonism, especially the Melchizedek priesthood, and in 1947 he left Utah legally and changed his name to Krishna Venta. The name Kaysville was used, replacing Kay Ward as the latter name used by the early settlers of Utah. He took it upon himself to express his disapproval of the radical name change.

Finally, in 1855, Stoker proposed a new name, Centerville, for the city of Kaysville, Utah, and on February 27, 1855, it became official. Centville was not always called Centesville, but it had a previous name and ruled for a while.

Layton, the largest city in what is now the county, was originally part of Kaysville, but wasn't always called Bountiful, and Layton itself wasn't always a town.

Although William was not the first settler in Kaysville, he became the eponymous of the congregation and was also the ward's first LDS bishop. Although all residents were Mormons, there was only one station in town, the Kayville Ward, which also covered most of the rest of the KAYSville Precinct. In 1850 William Kay and his wife Mary Ann Kay arrived and the place became known as the "Kay Settlement." The settlement was known as the Kay Ward and in 1851, after the death of Joseph Smith in a battle with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) in Salt Lake City, a kays LDS Ward was founded. This place was also called "The Cairo Settlement," in honor of its first bishop.

In the fall of 1849, Edward Phillips and John Hyrum Green attempted to travel from Salt Lake to Brown and Fort Ogden. Although the Kiowa and Comanche tribes divided the land in the southern plains, the Indians of the northwestern and southeastern territories were limited to their Indian territory in what is now Oklahoma. They were not known to have been found here until the first Mormon explorers pushed north to see the valley in that direction, which included the Kaysville area and other parts of Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana.

In 1848 William and Mary arrived in Utah with Willard Richards' emigrant company and moved to what later became Kaysville. Later that year, in 1850, John Green and his family moved to Salt Lake and settled on the west side of the valley, near what is now the intersection of Main Street and Main Avenue. In 1851, Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball made him bishop in the area, and the settlement began in 1840. William & Mary, came to Utah in 1847 and William Richards moved with his wife Mary and their children to what later became Kayville, but the settlement began in 1840 and he was appointed bishop of the area in 1851.

More About Kaysville

More About Kaysville